Tuesday, July 10, 2018

What do you Believe??????

Are you a person of faith? If so what is your faith? I don’t mean religion. I mean deep down inside of you what do you believe. Do you believe in “get what you can when you can”? Do you believe in do unto others before they do unto you? Do you believe in past wrongs must be corrected? Do you believe in an eye for an eye? Do you believe in forgive and forget? Do you believe in being kind? Do you believe in trying to help others? Do you believe there is no God? Do you believe there is a God? Do you believe in life after death? Do you believe the world is stacked against you? Do you believe that there is always hope?. Just what do you Believe? 

There is a stanza in the Declaration of Independence. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal” This statement I believe is true. As we enter this mortality called life. every being is born as an equal. I have in my life had the opportunity to see many children born. Its a beautiful thing. In those precious moments, that child is equal to anyone that walks on the face of the earth.  However not everyone is born into equal circumstance or conditions. Some are born into wealthy families. Some are born into poverty. Some are born into freedoms and liberties, some are born into control and limitations. Some are born with healthy bodies minds and spirits while other are born with disease, crippled or mental issues. Some are born into families that love and cherish them, some are not.

It is interesting to me to think about all of this. If we are born as equals. How do we get past the differences that life presents to us. For those that are “born into privilege ” do you have an obligation to those that are not? For those that are born into difficult situations, do you have the right to demand help? Moral questions for sure.  I don’t believe there is one answer to that. I do know that life is trying at times and we probably have all felt like whats in it for me? Why cant I get a break. I deserve to be happy. Hopefully we have also felt thankful for something in our lives.

I personally don’t believe in a utopian society. I believe there is great benefit in diversity. Diversity of race, color, culture. Diversity of location and geography. Diversity of ability and weakness. But when we use these things to set us apart, or above one another. We lose. 

So what Do I believe? I believe that We are all family. Despite the color of our skin. Despite of where we live. Despite of how much or how little we make. Despite of well educated or how illiterate we may be. Despite we are liberal or conservative. You are my brother or sister. We all need to set aside the thongs that separate us and concentrate on how we can help one another to achieve the most we can together. Set aside power and dominance for being powerful in doing good. 


There is so much more that can be said on this subject. I don’t pretend to have the answers. Heck maybe I’m way out on a limb here. These were just some of my thoughts this morning.

1 comment: