Sunday, July 8, 2012

Seeley Fire

Hello everyone, I am writing this from the confines of my hotel room in Price Utah. For the past few days I have had the privilege of working in the Carbon County EOC (Emergency Operations Center). Generally when I work in such a setting I will fill the role of the Incident commander, Operations Section Chief or the Public Information Officer. This time I was able to act as the Planning Section Chief. Needless to say I've learned a lot. Tomorrow we will probably close the EOC and I will return to Salt Lake. 
Today we were able to go on a brief recon mission to one of the burn areas south of Scofield Utah. The fire itself has been a challenge due to the terrain. But yesterday it wasn't terrain but actual rain that caused problems. it rained about 1/3 -1/2 inch of rain in a very short time causing some flash floods. As reports came into the EOC stating that some areas saw water five to six feet deep racing towards creek beds, many said ya sure.  


This picture shows just how high the water got in this area. I am standing by the normal flow of the creek for this time of year. The debris shows it actually got to about seven feet deep at one point. well its late and i'm bushed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment